Today was a horrific day for those who had to watch the Savo Brothers and their hired thugs destroy ALL THE TREES at Mount Manresa. The smell, the sound of the birds screaming and the cracking of the trees as them were felled was sickening to those who had to experience it first hand. The workers revving the chainsaws laughing at our pain.
The Committee to Save Mount Manresa has committed itself to this cause and will continue our fight. We call all those in Staten Island to stand behind us.
As a result we have the following planned:
– Friday, April 18 6pm Vigil at Mount Manresa (239 Fingerboard Road) Front Gates at 6pm. Please come, bring a friend and a candle. We will walk around Mount Manresa, grieve the murder of the ancient trees and show support for eachother and give strength for what lies ahead.
– Saturday April 19 at 1 pm – Hylan Blvd and Ebbits Street (Between Kmart and Home Goods) Flyer handout. We must be out there in community and continue for this incredibly worthy cause. IF you are available, we hope you can join us by handing out flyers or holding a sign.
Please continue to keep the pressure on our electeds, especially Mayor de Blasio City Hall, NY NY 10007 and write to the Staten ISland Advance email@example.com. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT
Mount Manresa should be a park and community center for the public. Its history as the 1st Laymen’s Retreat in America and a sanctuary for many especially during and after Sept 11 tragedy as well as Sandy Recovery are too important to give up on. The Savos will choke our Staten Island with traffic and flooding and overburden our schools and sewers, hospitals and emergency services and with their plans. We must continue to push our electeds to protect us all. We can’t give up.
Thank you for supporting the Committee To Save Mount Manresa
Fight to save Manresa continues on Wednesday despite felled trees manresa-bilotti.jpeg Caroline Labita and Joe Bilotti of the Committee to Save Mount Manresa viewed the destruction behind them of numerous trees that had already been cut down on the property.
April 16, 2014 at 12:24 PM
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — The Committee to Save Mount Manresa continues its quest on Wednesday to save the former spiritual refuge despite a second day of tree removal on the property in Fort Wadsworth.
The Jesuits sold the property for $15 million to Savo Brothers which plans to build 250 housing units on the site.
“The lack of consideration for the surrounding community by both the seller and buyer throughout this process is disheartening,” said Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis (R-East Shore/Brooklyn), who is a plaintiff in a lawsuit to prevent development on the property.
“Neither side expressed a desire, or as little as a willingness, to sit down with elected officials and committee to discuss best possible use of this beautiful property.”
Workers for Savo Brothers of Prince’s Bay, which owns the 15.4-acre property, showed up for a second day in a row at about 8 a.m. and began cutting the trees toward the front of the property along Fingerboard Road and Narrows Road North. Trees on the property are up to 400 years old.
“It’s dangerous, they’re cutting right next to the homes,” Ms. Sanchez said.
Ms. Sanchez received a call from Borough President James Oddo mid-morning on Wednesday after complaining to the Advance that she had trouble connecting with him
She thanked the borough president for agreeing to again request that Mayor Bill de Blasio tour Manresa. The committee wants the mayor to intervene on their behalf to halt development of the site.
“A call from the Staten Island Borough President is very powerful,” Ms. Sanchez noted.
They group has made repeated fruitless attempts to enlist Mayor Bill de Blasio in the cause.
Ellen Pratt of the committee and Protectors of Pine Oak Woods said they “will continue to appeal to the mayor to intervene now” and “to condemn the property or take it by eminent domain before further disruption of the buildings and the land is done.”
Regarding Savo Brothers, Ms. Pratt said, “It appears that they are extremely vindictive in that they have made such a concerted effort to take down the trees and that’s an insult to all Staten Islanders and to our heritage and a terrible disgrace of people’s of respect for the environment and the public.”
Savo Brothers of Prince’s Bay didn’t waste any time sending in the tree trimmers on Tuesday to chop down trees as old as 400 years after Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Peter Moulton on Monday denied a motion to issue a preliminary injunction, which would have stopped owners and developers the Savo Brothers from doing any work at the site while the judge considered arguments that it should be landmarked and that environmental studies are needed before the issuance of demolition or building permits.
The judge’s ruling lifted a temporary restraining order he had issued a week ago that halted work on the property.
© 2014 SILive.com. All rights reserved.